Tax Extensions: Need More Time To File Your Taxes?

Tax season sometimes just sneaks up on you and suddenly you are in need of more time to file. So what do you do?  File a Tax Extension.

What is a Tax Extension?
A tax extension extends the amount of time to prepare and file your tax return with the IRS. Please note: This does NOT extend the amount of time to pay your taxes.
The easiest way to file a tax extension is through an IRS Authorized e-file provider – such as, where filing your extension only takes a few minutes.

When are the deadlines?
Your deadline to file a tax extension depends on which form you need to file.

  • March 17thBusiness Tax Extension – can be filed with IRS Form 7004 for Multi-Memeber LLCs, C-Corporatons, S-Corporations, Partnerships, Trusts, and Estates for an automatic 5 or 6 month extension
  • April 15thPersonal Tax Extension – can be filed with IRS Form 4868 for Individuals, 1099 Contractors, Sole Proprietors, and Single Member LLCs to extend time to file until October 15th
  • May 15thNon-Profit/Exempt Organization Tax Extension – can be filed with IRS form 8868 for Non-Profit & Exempt Organizations for an automatic extension of 3 months.

Who can file a tax extension?
Anyone can file a tax extension with the IRS. If you have any questions about filing a tax extension, contact our Express Tax Support Center via phone: 803.514.5155 or email:

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *