How To Get a New Copy of Your W-2 Form

Employers are responsible for distributing W-2 Forms to their employees by January 31st of each year. Share this informative blog with your employees to give them insight on what to do when they lose their W-2 Form.

Employer researching how to get a copy of Form W-2Every year, around of the end of January, you should receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from your employer, which is needed when filing your personal taxes by the annual April income tax deadline.

But I have to ask you… Have you ever misplaced your Form W-2? …Yea? So have I, don’t feel bad. Searching frantically for your tax information can stress you out, but it doesn’t have to.

Here is your inside scoop on how to get a new copy of your W2 Form fast so you can get organized before the second quarter.

How To Get a New Copy of Your W-2 Form

Why Should I Keep a Copy of Form W-2?

Whether you are a small business owner or work for a company, keeping track of your tax information is very important. Here are just a few things that W-2 Forms are used for outside of filing your personal taxes:

  • Employment Verification 
  • Loan Approval 
  • Maintaining Tax Compliance (Businesses) and more
With the 2nd Quarter Form 941 deadline around the corner, you will need to report the information listed on your W-2 Form. Unsure if you need to request a transcript or copy? Here’s a quick breakdown of each and how they can be obtained. 

Form W-2 Transcript

A transcript shows the data reported to the IRS on information returns such as Forms W-2, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series, and Form 5498 series. However, keep in mind state or local information is not included with Form W-2 information.

The IRS provides a convenient Get Transcript Tool that allows you to request your wage and income transcript online. Transcripts are available for the past ten tax years; however, your current tax year information may not be complete until July.

Tip: IRS Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, can also be used to request a wage and income transcript the good, old-fashioned way of paper filing.

Copy of Form W-2

The IRS only retains the copies of W-2 Forms that were attached to a paper tax return filed with the IRS. Receiving a Form W-2 copy is a little tricky because the only way to get a copy is to order a copy of the entire tax return using Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and paying a $50 fee for each requested return.

The fee for requesting a return will be waived if a federally declared disaster impacted the taxpayer.

ExpressExtension not only provides you with personal income tax extensions, but we are your sources relevant IRS tax information.

If you find yourself unable to locate your Form W-2 and need to take care of tax matters before an upcoming tax deadline, be sure to file an extension with ExpressExtension to receive extra time to file. We provide extensions for individual income tax returns, information returns, business income tax returns, exempt organization returns, and more!

Sign-Up Today!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *