Top 5 Questions About Personal Tax Extensions

If you are researching tax extensions, you probably have a few questions, right? It’s not the easiest task to learn about tax extensions from the IRS; they really enjoy using the most legal diction possible. You can take a break from your search and let me answer a few of the most common questions about IRS Form 4868 – Personal Tax Extension.

1. Do I need to file an extension if I’m getting a refund?
If you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will be getting a refund, then the answer is technically no you won’t need to file an extension; at least when it comes to your federal return. There would be no way for the IRS to calculate late-filing penalties if there is no tax owed.

The answer could also be yes, for 3 reasons:
 – An extension protects you from a late filing penalty if you do indeed end up owing taxes to the IRS.
 – Certain states you to e-file a federal tax extension to receive a state extension
 – ExpressExtension makes e-filing Form 4868 easy and it only takes a few minutes.

2. When is IRS Form 4868 due?
The e-file deadline of Form 4868 is April 15th. Technically Form 4868 must be filed by midnight according to your time zone, but it is best to e-file by 3 pm to ensure acceptance by the IRS in time.

3. Can I file an extension after April 15th? 
You can only file a personal tax extension after the April 15th deadline if you are a U.S citizen or resident alien who were out of the country on April 15th. You will need to file Form 4868 by June 15th.

4. What do I do if I miss the April 15th deadline?
If you are due a refund then you don’t need to stress yourself out about it. 2014 tax returns that are due a refund have until April 15, 2018 to be filed with the IRS.

If you owe taxes and miss the deadline to file an extension, file your return as soon as possible. The late-filing and late-payment penalties are no joke and increase the longer you wait. Contact the IRS for more information if you file past the deadline.

5. Where do I file Form 4868 to extend my personal tax deadline?
You can e-file Form 4868 with ExpressExtension in a matter of minutes. You only need to enter some basic information and transmit to the IRS. There is even an app – Express4868 – so you can file from any location on your tablet or smartphone. For more information on e-filing with ExpressExtension, check out – How To E-file Form 4868 | Personal Tax Extension.

If you have any questions about e-filing Form 4868 with, contact our Support Team via phone: 803-514-5155 or email: [email protected]

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *