For many of us, every tax season seems like a race against time to get either tax returns or extensions to the IRS. We either play it extremely safe and e-file weeks in advance or take our chances waiting until the last minute.
In either case, we force ourselves to complete as much as possible at one time just to e-file as fast as we can – this doesn’t have to be an issue with a clear understanding of electronic postmarks
and IRS deadlines.
What is an Electronic Postmark?
Anytime you e-file an electronic form with ExpressExtension.com
; it contains a mark that shows the exact date and time you transmitted to the IRS. Based on where you live in the US, you may need to consider your time zone to determine your actual postmark time.
Why does it matter?
An electronic postmark goes hand-in-hand with your filing due date – especially if you have no choice but to e-file the day of the deadline. We all aim to e-file on time and avoid paying late filing penalties whenever possible.
The IRS states,
- If the electronic postmark is on or before the original filing deadline, but the IRS receives your return after the deadline, the IRS still considers your return as timely filed.
- If the electronic postmark is after the original filing deadline, the IRS sees the postmark is beyond the due date and considers the filing late.
- If the IRS rejects your return, you need to file a correction in compliance with the rules for a timely filed returns after a rejection.
With ExpressExtension.com, the electronic postmark is generated in Eastern Standard Time; however, if you e-filed from another time zone, your actual postmark reflects your physical location.
Here’s an example:
- E-filing with ExpressExtension.com – Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 11:52 p.m. EST (Electronic Postmark)
- E-filing with ExpressExtension.com from California – Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 8:52 p.m. PST (Actual Postmark)
It’s the actual postmark that the IRS uses to determine if you e-filed before the deadline. Your return can still be on time if it’s e-filed by midnight, local time, on the deadline date.
Make timely e-filings to the IRS with ExpressExtension.com and get approved within minutes. Beat your filing due dates anywhere you are with our FREE downloadable mobile apps for each of our tax extensions on your favorite iOS or Android handset.
Contact our U.S. – based, e-filing professionals at 803.514.5155, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m to 6 p.m. EST – we are happy to assist with your e-filing experience. Or send us an email at your convenience with [email protected].