Recap of the ExpressExtension Forms

It’s never too early to think about next year’s taxes. And while that might not sound entirely accurate or like a very fun way to start a blog, I’m here to tell you that it is. Accurate, I mean. I can’t really tell you what you find fun, you’re the authority on that.

It’s only the end of September, but it seems like some days all you have to do is blink and a month goes by. Then, before you know it, it’s the beginning of a new year and you have tax forms that you have to send to the IRS and other recipients within a matter of weeks (or days if your procrastination habits are anything like mine).

So how do you avoid getting to this point? Well, if you start thinking about next year’s taxes now, you can prepare yourself and avoid any last minute filing headaches. One of the best ways to prepare yourself is to submit an extension form to the IRS as soon as you realize you might need more time to file. You can submit one even if you don’t think you’ll need more time just in case.

And extension forms don’t have to be complicated at all. One of the quickest and easiest ways to submit an extension form is with We offer extension forms for personal, business, and exempt organization income tax filers. Just read on to find out a little about each form and what it can do for you.

Form 4868
Form 4868 is a personal tax extension form. It’s used for 1040 Federal Income Tax Returns and by 1099 Independent Contractors, Sole Proprietorships (Schedule C), and Single-Member LLCs. Form 4868 is due by April 15 and extends your filing deadline six months to October 15. You do not need to explain why you are asking for an extension; you will only need your personal data (name, address, SS#) and to state whether or not you’re filing jointly.

Form 7004
Form 7004 is a business tax extension form for C-Corporations, Multi-Member LLCs, S-Corporations, Trusts and Estates, and Partnerships. It must be filed by March 15, and once it’s processed by the IRS, you’ll be granted an automatic 5 or 6 month extension (certain Partnerships, Trusts, and Estates can only apply for a 5 month extension). You’ll need your business’s data (name, address, Tax-ID/EIN) when filling out Form 7004.

Form 8868
Form 8868 is an extension form for exempt organizations that include Charitable Organizations, Churches and Religious Organizations, Private Foundations, and other nonprofits. Exempt organization extension forms have two parts: Part I allows for an automatic 3-month extension and Part II allows for an additional, non-automatic 3-month extension. Please note that you can only file Part II if you’ve filed Part I. To file either form, you’ll need your business or organization’s information (name, address, EIN/FEIN) and to identify the type of tax form that you normally file (990, 990-EZ, 990-T, etc.).

It’s important to remember that, with any of these forms, you must have your income taxes paid by the original filing date; these forms are not extending your time to pay, they’re extending your time to file.

Your tax extension form couldn’t be handled better than it is with our IRS-authorized e-filing service ExpressExtension. After you breeze your way through the online form, we’ll check it over to make sure it’s free of basic errors. Then we’ll send it straight to the IRS in an encrypted format so all of your information is safe. After it’s been accepted (usually within an hour), we’ll send you an email confirming your extension.

With that sort of guaranteed peace of mind, why wouldn’t you file an extension form with us?

And since we can’t do enough for you, our friendly USA-based support team is available by phone (803-514-5155) or live chat ( Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. We also offer 24/7 email support through [email protected] for any questions or assistance you may need.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *